Tuesday, June 17, 2008

When the computer tells me it is time for bed!

I hardly ever talk about my nights, but this was a lesson I truly need to share with you. See, I do my best intense computer work after the kids (namely the little Princess) is in bed. Tonight I was innocently enough editing photos on my computer (it has some pretty good RAM and processor speed in it) while having my email open as well. I also, in my infinite wisdom, had an internet browser (or two hundred) open as well. Photoshop, chose that one moment where I was mid-edit of a long edited photo to flash the ever so lovely sign "(not responding)" on the title bar.

My heart sank. My stomach dropped to the floor. I quickly switched to an internet window to see if I could ignore it and it would go away. It didn't.

CTRL-ALT-DEL brought up Task Manager, and as this seems to happen frequently in my life (I do have Vista) I have learned which processes are normal and which are not, which I can kill and which I can not. This time, oh this time, I clicked the "show all users" and got to even MORE! Yippee!!!

I ended this one and that one, and JOYFUL noise sounded (in my head) when I saw that Photoshop was once again working. Instead of quickly going and SAVING that long edited photo like any self-respecting computer tinkering person, what did I do? Oh I went and blithely ended other fun sounding processes. I clicked one, and I promise it sounded innocently enough. How was I to know it would completely kill my entire session and REBOOT my computer?

After my cry of dismay, my dear husband said to me "Perhaps the computer is telling you to go to bed."

Perhaps it was, but I really do need to get these edits done as I know tomorrow will be busy with making sure my little sweet Princess keeps toys out of the toilet, keeps itty bitty "big boy" toys out of her mouth, and doesn't unload the clean laundry baskets by putting those clothes in the trashcan. Yes, I really should get those important edits done tonight because I know I won't have much time tomorrow. I'm off to edit again, but this time, I think instead of my two thousand internet windows, I'll turn on some music instead. Something nice, uplifting, and not at all lullaby like. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! What a story. Unfortunately, I can totally relate. Hope you get your editing done soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, that is horrible! I guess you learned your lesson though.... Turn off that computer and get some rest!

Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens! But yeah, that usually means...time for bed.